Our Magical Mystery Chimes feature a musical phenomenon known as Octave Doubling. Here's how it works - you remember the Do-Re-Mi-Fa-So-La-Ti-Do scale from the Sound of Music? The "Do" note that comes at the start and end of this scale are the same note, an octave apart. Notes separated by an octave are considered harmonically equivalent and "ring" together in a way that adds a pleasing sound to the music. Our Magical Mystery Chimes take this theory to the extreme - all the notes of the chimes are matched with its "octave double". Never before used in wind chimes, this special tuning creates a heightening of the harmonics, creating a song that must be heard to be believed. Our Space Odyssey Chime is tuned to the intervals of the first notes of the famous symphonic poem, Also sprach Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, more commonly known as the powerful musical opening to Stanley Kubrick's 1968 film 2001: A Space Odyssey. The chime-within-a-chime design couples notes in four octaves which exponentially increases the soundscape and quadruples the octave doubling effect! Woodstock Chimes are the original, musically-tuned, high-quality wind chimes known worldwide for their superior sound. When listening to a Woodstock Chime, you hear a fine musical instrument played by the wind. More than 30 years ago, the first Woodstock Chime was created by founder and owner Garry Kvistad from an aluminum lawn chair he found in a landfill. As a professional musician and instrument designer, he was fascinated by the Scales of Olympos, a 7th century pentatonic scale that can't be played on a modern piano. Garry and his wife Diane founded Woodstock Percussion, Inc. in 1979 and it remains a family-owned business in New York's Hudson Valley.
- Woodstock's Magical Mystery Chimes feature the unique effect of Octave Doubling, producing a heightening of the harmonics and a doubling of the music
- Tuned to the first notes of the famous symphonic poem commonly known as the powerful musical opening to Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Teak finish ash wood top and wind catcher, 12 silver anodized aluminum solid chime tubes
- Overall length is 55 inches
- Woodstock chimes are known around the world for their innovative design, superior quality, and beautiful sound